Thursday, April 11, 2013

Working for the environment: A dream come true


Dreams can only I was in high school, I have always dreamed of working for the environment and being a part of the big campaign which aims to help conserve and protect it. I always listened well to my science teacher’s lectures, I joined the science club, and I even became a part of the Science Enrichment Program of our school since I wanted to learn more about the environment after classes.

Now, after years of preparing myself and gaining enough knowledge, I have landed an internship in one of the leading environmental organizations around the world. Greenpeace. I am an incoming fourth year Mass Communication minor in Development Communication student at St. Scholastica’s College, Manila. The moment we were told to think of any non-government organization that we would want to have as our On-The-Job training (OJT) site, I immediately thought of Greenpeace. I made sure that all my requirements would be ready early, so I submitted them early. And once I got accepted, I was ecstatic! I was so overwhelmed, that the journey from Taft to Quezon City every day for 200 hours seemed nothing to me. I thought, “Super worth it naman. Kahit malayo pa biyahe ko araw-araw, kaya ko naman basta at least dun ako mag ojt”. I knew that I would learn something every day during my internship. And I have learned a lot so far.
Being surrounded by people who are experts in the field of communications and campaigning is a big deal for us. We get to see first-hand how campaigns are planned, created, prepared and executed. We get to have a feel of an office environment, wherein you are on your own when it comes to tasks assigned to you. But then there is also teamwork involved especially in handling projects. You must be able to adapt and relate with other people in the workplace, otherwise you will have a hard time.

So far, I am enjoying my internship here at Greenpeace. Me and my fellow intern, who is also my classmate, get to help in simple ways through small tasks. We do research, office work like photocopying important documents, and most of all, we also participate in the different events and campaigns of the organization. We get to go out in the field and actually help in the campaign events.

I really am happy to have an internship here at Greenpeace. Not only am I getting or gaining new knowledge, I also get to enjoy myself. I love the simple things that I get to do and contribute. And now I really understand what they mean when they say that when you work, its about the feeling of happiness that you get is what's important. And everything else will just come in second.


No comments:

Post a Comment